CENTRAL EUROPE BLOG May 8th, 2026 - NUREMBERG
5/8/26– I wake up to sunshine peering through the window and as I stare out I see blue skies developing. Oh man, today is going to be a great day.
Around 11am, we leave our hotel on a journey through town to capture what we can of this new sunshine phenomenon we haven’t experienced in days. I do take my jacket just in case because you never know. Immediately I’m scrounging for my camera to take photos of St Lorenz Cathedral in full sun.
We continue wandering to the Hangman’s Bridge and Tower, labeled as such due to the executions performed. The wooden structure offers great views of the river as the nearby buildings reflect off the water.
About five more minutes walk away we come to Weibgerbergasse, which consists of about twenty medieval half-timbered houses that survived the war raids. The colors glisten as the sunlight protrudes from the sky giving the street a sense of ease. If nothing else I’m glad I’m able to see this in near perfect weather.
Not far away, we find the entrance to the city wall which has surrounded the old city since the 12th century. There’s not much to this section as it primarily overlooks the outer part of town, but the walk down the wall is pleasant enough.
Last on our list for now is the Palace of Justice made famous by the Nuremberg war crimes trials after World War I. To get there we walk about ten plus minutes to the underground (U-Baun) and take it three stops, then another seven minutes walk. They have a museum (7 Euros) where I’m able to see the actual court the trials were held as they played a projected movie to make it feel like it’s happening in front of us. Very cool effect and bravo Germany.
With the day pretty much done of what we wanted to do, we decide to try and walk the thirty-five minutes back. However, the sun had other plans and begins to bake us without shade only ten minutes in, so we hop on the U-Bahn again (free by the way) and take it to our hotel.
After a few hours we find a place close by for food but it doesn’t taste very good. Some weird sausage in ketchup didn’t fulfill the dream of enjoying international food. After eating, we continue to find multiple booths set up around the block and it feels like everyone is out. There’s hardly any place to go without people bum rushing and smacking into us. Not feeling the vibe we head back for the night. I mean we do find a US/British Empire store which is quite interesting so there’s that.
Side note: We ended up buying 7 wine bottles total in Koblenz and it appears we both have room and still underweight in our suitcases.















Comments
Post a Comment