CENTRAL EUROPE BLOG May 6th, 2026 - KOBLENZ, GERMANY
5/6/26– Ahh, a restful night’s sleep. It’s raining this morning and all we have on the agenda is wine tasting, so no reason to wake up early. I previously contacted three wineries nearby to visit for a tasting, which allows us plenty of time to wake up fully and go to the grocery store along the way.
We arrive at the first place, Winegut Weyh, around 11:45am and knock on the door with no answer. I try to text the number provided and email but still ten minutes goes by (in the rain) until we see a local woman dropping by to pick up her wine. She calls the number and the winemaker drives right up. I mean we could’ve called ourselves but didn’t want to pay the per-minute charges so I'm happy someone else came by to assist.
We’re given multiple wines to taste (all for free) with the majority of them being Riesling. I do feel a bit rushed as it seems we’re invading on his personal time, which throws me off, but overall the wines are good and we buy a few bottles.
Since we didn’t stay as long as I thought we may have (I'm use to American wineries where you can sit and enjoy your wine for however long you wish), we decide to try to find another winery. Unfortunately, the two we go to are only open to large groups and not walk-ins. So we wait another thirty minutes in our car before the time for our next appointment comes up at 1pm.
Second winery, Winegut Krober, seems more inviting. The winemaker allows us to taste several selections and is much more interested in our conversation. He even has a contraption for pouring large bottles that I had to try out.
With a short lunch break in between, we journey to our last winery, Madame Flock Wines. The owner takes us on a tour of his wine cave, from an old underground World War I bunker abandoned for ninety years. He uses primarily a flashlight to guide us around so it’s pretty eerie. Next, we sit and sip on his entire collection of reds and whites for the next few hours while enjoying conversation. Truly one of the more fascinating wineries I’ve been to and thoroughly enjoy every moment.
With the time pushing 6pm, we find a restaurant Konigsbacher Treff on the way back toward the hotel and order some great food, Schnitzelstreifen (breaded schnitzel strips) and Spaghetti Aglio olio e Peperoncino (don’t ask me exactly what that is but something to do with olive oil sauce). It’s just very good.










Comments
Post a Comment